Thursday, 20 August 2026

Drum birthing workshop - ready to begin

Readiness

Firstly, I noticed a theme of readiness has been occurring for me recently in the lead up to this topic, which I think is connected to this work.  The blog post title itself which I borrowed from Appleton's recent song 'Ready to Begin' which I was lyrically connecting with.  Later contemplating on why I was randomly rediscovering other songs such as Jimi Jamison's 'I'll Be Ready', and later in July randomly Taylor Swift's "...Ready For It?".  Well, how apt for this current time!  'Ready' seems to be resonating with me and felt quite fitting based on a recent experience, and at the time of putting this together which was on the day of the solar eclipse, 12 August 2026.  Which I guess is in synchronous with a reset through completion and letting things go through my recent big release, and to give space to such nature-based work as presented here.  The mental and physical space I created to allow me to do such things, rather than filling it with full time work-related stuff; "...given the synchronicity of my own personal transformational changes in my focus and priorities and setting clear boundaries with myself on my own work-life balance and wellbeing".  How quickly I got used to the free space and time!  I'd be very prudent when making a future decision on taking on side work.  I think this is the start of a new lifelong learning cycle.  Maybe this is a rebirth of me of some kind?  Or simply I am feeling ready for my own drum, as I said to Detzi (The Peaceful Soul) in a text when enquiring about a drum birthing workshop.  I feel the songs mentioned earlier all unknowingly lead up to that moment.  It all feels a bit like a 'shall we begin?' sort of thing.

When writing this, I came across this in a previous blog post which made me stop and pause.  I had since mentioned it many times in previous and subsequent blog posts; (newest to old) 'Roots to radiance - a mini retreat', 'Catching the dream - a mini retreat', 'Seekest thou the path 🌕', 'Dreaming, rituals and values', 'Roots and beyond', 'The calling, awakening and initiation', 'Energy through numbers', 'Orca-strating' and 'Get my rocks on'.  It might have taken a while to get my energy, time and priorities for this, but I am here now.
Me, December 2021 - "I think I can describe this blog post as the starting of a kind of spiritual ‘individual ego death’; letting go of the self to momentary die whilst still alive.  A kind of cathartic process that can bring about transformation and a sense of balance and recalibration into my life, informing what happens in my future.  I also find my priorities and interests are changing.  Like less consumerism and more about people and quality of time I have with them, the spiritual side and gratitude.  I've everything to look forward to and it's all part of a greater mystical journey leading or redirecting me to further hidden passions.  However, I’ll keep on willing to learn and be teachable.  My journey and growth continues..."
Like with my intermittent reiki journey, which I'll most likely write about in the future.  My spiritual development has shown over the years that my growth can happen in peaks and troughs.  Suddenly and deeply and then maybe quiet for a short while, and perhaps in steady quiet times with the odd quantum leap and a radical decision or activity can help.  Likewise, I can get too immersed which leaves me wanting space and a break and I'll be back to connecting to it all again.  What's important is that I'm on a journey and I am connecting in and making great steady progress, and working out how I want to shape my practice.  I am consciously serious about it, not just seeking extraordinary experiences.  It's a journey after all and now I am on it, so patience and precision is key here - is the message of the heron I was getting throughout this year?!  I also have the warm reassurance that I am supported by the communities I am in and individuals I know, that are really helpful and supportive in helping me in my own journey.

I think all I can do with this is do something and try to make my own meaning of my experiences to my situation.  But I am acutely aware to not over analyse them.  I just need to let the experiences be, acknowledge what is there and discern what I need, and move forward and trust in this  However it is good to analyse them and again and what I do in such blog posts like this - the process is more important to me than the output, like my own unique crafting through my writing here.  I've noticed I have started small and building habits, though I am still challenged with trusting myself and my abilities and minimising self doubt.  I can see how my previous spiritual work and Movement Medicine practices have helped support and redirect me to where I am now.  The books on shamanism and power animals I've had for over 15 years now become purposeful and applied, as well as giving new meaning to my animal spirit oracle cards I occasionally work with.   I knew I had to hold onto all of these.

Listening to the beat of my own drum

There are so many areas on a spiritual pathway that can be taken, and some are more deep and strictly committed than others.  My intuition tells me that I am more aligned to something that is not rigid and confirmative, especially at this early explorative stage.  I need to learn to walk before I can run, and again I want to do this for me, with the view in months/years to come to share more widely with friends and family.  Like how I didn't have any formal plans in completing my reiki level 1, just pure unfolding interest, I didn't make any plans to do the drum birthing workshop.  I just naturally and curiously let myself respond to the invite as I saw the workshop event.  However, once I saw the date of the invite I knew instantly I couldn't make it as I was going on holiday.  So I reached out to Detzi to say this and find out when a next one might be or to be put on a waiting list, which looked to be in 2027.  However, the holiday plans didn't work out on where we wanting to go so I became available, and joined the 25 July group.  I was secretly happy that we changed tact on holiday plans because I now got to do this.  Maybe divine intervention ha.

I could have made a drum purely just as an instrument, as some might be inclined to do, but I felt drawn and guided to do something much deeper with and through it, for example deepening my connection to nature.  I guess if anything it is another tool for my 'spiritual toolbox'.

On my way to Detzi's house for the workshop, which was a beautifully sunny and warm Saturday, I saw a very low flying buzzard (I strongly suspect) that crossed above me whilst driving.  This was the closest and lowest I have ever seen one.  It completely caught me off guard and it was huge.  Looking up this sighting later apparently holds significant meaning, especially to such event I was heading to.  It did feel quite special and meaningful.  On the way home I saw a red kite fighting another, and again another buzzard.  I was thinking maybe I should drum where I have been seeing them?!  It has been a very unique year seeing rare and repetitive signs of animals I rarely see.

It felt such a privilege to share the day with Detzi and her dad, Peter, as well as the other beautiful souls joining us.  It was wonderful to hear Peter's wisdom being shared throughout the day.  I really appreciated it.  We started the day by holding a small opening circle, sharing a little a bit about why we are here today, the plan for the day and our intention(s) for our drum.  The collective intention for my drum was to connect to spirit, guide me on my journey and offer me healing in the process.  I later wrote this on the outer drum base "connect, guide, heal" to seal the purpose.  Afterwards we headed outside, barefoot, and did some earthing/grounding in the garden.  Once feeling grounded and connected, we cleansed our chosen animal skins with white sage - I pre-selected a red stag skin and ash wood frame.  We smudged the skins with cleansing sage energy over them whilst thinking about our intentions we set.


Peter made a good comment that when we are making our drums we are birthing an entity, and therefore we should look after it like a person.  I recall saying I feel I have a got/making a friend in my drum.  We then got to the real work on making our drums.  For the north part of my drum, I set a particular white taint in the skin to remind me that was the north, but we later identified this via the central lacing.  The white taint reminded me of a half moon or an ice cap at the arctic circle.  However as the skin later started the settle/dry it looked like a full moon - which was a special touch given the current Buck Moon.  The animal skins of others' had some animal and human figures within them - really captivating skin designs.

As we progressed on the lacing of our drums, which I graciously received lots of one to one support on.  There is always the risky potential of a hole split to occur.  Of which mine did and I had to start my lacing all over again, which is fine and there is a remedy in place for such things.  I was reminded to breathe, especially as there was some minor stress involved.  It was a true collaboration on my drum.  I needed lots of hand holding, as again, this is practical skills outside of my experience and comfort zone.  I've not got the basic textiles or embroidery skills, well since school with my shark oven mit-come puppet ha.  So I really appreciated the support on the hard work that has gone into it.  I am clearly helpless but growing in confidence in such things each time I do something like this.  On reflection, I do feel I should have asked more of what I could do myself when crafting my drum.  And while I was waiting I didn't ask others if they needed help as much as I could have.  But I did ask later on.  I just felt a bit pathetically helpless at times.  I could have also been less careless with my lacing, which I jokingly remarked as 'tagliatelle' due to its slimey texture - I think it was due to the fatty skin, perhaps abundance within the stag?!  The lacing looks as it should but I was unsure of the process, but I know what to expect and do differently next time.  So I am really grateful for Detzi and Peter’s support and putting their energies into the creation of my drum.  As well as the physical support I received I now think this was symbolic energy from both Detzi and Peter, showing support and encouragement at the start of whatever my journey becomes with ym drum.  Thinking and feeling that really uplifts me.  A message for the day that Detzi said, or for me at least, is "We don’t get through life on our own".





We ended the day by laying on the grass with our drums on our heart centres.  We closed our eyes while Peter and Detzi rattled and drummed around us all.  Taking us on a brief journey.  We were invited to what Peter said at the start of the day; imagine being in a valley with a stream, sitting under a favourite or distinctive tree, and be present and aware and maybe a visit by an animal.  This offers a kind of 'portal' to start a journey.  Breathing in the light; sun and moon, and breathing out negativity.  I definitely went somewhere in this brief journey as it was a struggle to become present with myself afterwards.  We were then invited to optionally share any visions, thoughts and feelings we had through Detzi's talking stick.  I felt quietly emotional of the change in person I am becoming.  I felt it as I was making my drum earlier in the day as I do feel a new journey has started in some form.  But by the end of the day it just felt more profound.  As Detzi once said at another event, words to that effect; things keep circling back round to us if they are meant for us, and immersing in spirituality/nature does for me, but it is here permanently now.  Peter closed with saying we could ask him anything.  Which I would have many questions but I would first need to digest all the learning and events of the day.



Whilst we were sat there, Detzi noticed a baby grasshopper which was vividly bright green.  I remarked a little experience that I had not seen one for years and saw one in my garden recently and it jumped on my leg.  So I said it might mean a leap into the unknown, only going forwards, having trust we are guided.  Maybe there's something in that where this is now a permanent part of my life and I won't go back to older ways.

Reflecting on my educator values, I'll continue to be curious and try and experience things aligned to my own path, and use future events and workshops to strengthen my knowledge and skills.  I can be self-taught, as I have mostly throughout my professional education, and use my educator abilities to create a structure that works for me, and also using each session as a reflective experience to learn, practise, apply and identify improvements/changes I need to make.  But I guess getting out in nature as much as possible with my drum is key.  Building a bond between us and the relationships I hope to make with the unseen.  Actually, on 18th July, Detzi hosted and facilitated my 40th mini retreat, at the end she gave me a birthday card that included the line "meaningful relationships".  I was unsure at the time what that meant.  I initially thought it was with other like-minded people.  But it could well be the about the relationships I could establish and develop with the unseen.  I'll aim to not have expectations and just drum.  See what arrives.  But I recall Peter saying the words to the effect of "Before I talk I need to listen."

We were advised to oil our animal skins, olive oil is fine, on the anniversary of our drum's birth.  Once the skin had fully dried and settled after a week, we were encouraged to wake up our drums slowly, like you would a person.  Rubbing it gently with a hand to warm it up can help and ensure a good sound.  Though sometimes they might sound flat like we can all do from time to time.  Plus all drums sound different due to thickness of each unique skin.  We were also encouraged to get to know our drums like a person and drum for about 15-30 minutes a day or at a time.

I'll definitely do this birthing workshop again.  I'm sure another drum would be welcome in the distant future.  I hope that I have found some future drumming friends too!

I later purchased a lovely green drum case from Heron Drums to keep my drum safe and protected.

The journey continues

On the night of the 18th, I drifted to sleep asking in my head asking for signs or advice to come.  The day after, I was thinking what do I do next and do I use my drum for this.  I took to GenAI and asked some advice on connecting with spirit guides and received the following:

Me - "I have been doing lots of shamanic themed workshops since January 2025.  And now going to be making my own shamanic drum in the next workshop.  I now feel I want to connect more deeply with spirit guides to help guide me on my next steps.  If that is the next natural step?  If so, how can I do this?"

GenAI - "It sounds like your practice has been evolving in a fairly organic way. Over a year and a half of workshops, followed by making your own drum, is a progression that many people in shamanic traditions would see as moving from learning techniques toward developing a personal relationship with the practice.

Whether connecting more deeply with spirit guides is the "next natural step" depends on your goals. If what you're really seeking is wisdom, direction, and a deeper sense of relationship with the unseen (however you understand it), then yes—it could be a meaningful direction. If you're feeling pressured because it seems like what you're "supposed" to do next, then it might be worth slowing down and asking what genuinely draws you.

Many shamanic traditions approach spirit guides less as something to "achieve" and more as relationships that unfold over time...
"

Then it gave me practical advice on some ways practitioners often cultivate that relationship.

I then searched on visualising for shamanic drumming and received similar practical guidance.  This is where I think my Labradorite crystals can help me with visualisation.  My Labradorite crystals came from my interest in a 'dream stone' during a crystal grid workshop I attended in November 2025, and then Detzi offered me a larger one which I purchased.

I later asked Peter in our group chat - "I've been doing some AI asking about developing a regular journeying practice and awakening my drum. But I prefer to learn from real practitioners. Any further wisdom or tips on those?  I know you said a key thing about learning to listen."

Peter - "There are many ways to journey, some people find  it easy others struggle. Practice visualisation before your drum is ready. If you have vision of a place you feel comfortable in work on it, expand and embellish it. Spend time there and immerse yourself in feeling of comfort. Return there as often as possible until it becomes almost automatic.  I hope you find this useful. Peter"

After my drum had dried for a week, on 1st August 2026 it was time to awaken it.  I wanted to make a formal process to it so I searched on a structure and followed that.  It was quite the day.  I did a bit of earthing and self-reiki for a bit of much needed calm and rebalancing.  Then I conducted my little drum awakening ceremony in my garden.  I walked garden with burning white sage to cleanse the space, and hopefully bring spiritual presence and energy by asking ancestors to support me.  I started tapping lightly, had next a little harder.  Then I was tapping around the edges, like I was learning changes in depth of sound.  Then I switched back to tapping.  Then must've gone into a trance as I was then finding myself doing a heart beat sound.  Then quietly coming back to one big beat sound.  Then I drummed out quietly.  I hummed or potentially sighed with the beat.


The drum sounded incredible!  At times when visualising the valley, stream and tree - thank you Peter, I think I was seeing the red stag that the skin used to belong to.  It felt very strange doing it solo, I've only experienced group drumming, and got into quite a rhythm.  Only for a short period to get acquainted.  I was a bit zoned out afterwards.  It was a bit like a bit like in the Avatar movies when the Navi get acquainted with their banshees and then must seal the bond through their first flight.  Detzi later shared, as she promised, Jason Sewell's Just Drumming group.  So now I am in the know of this group and activity I will start to attend drumming events when I am able to.  Would be good to do some regular group drumming together.  Hopefully outdoor drumming under moonlight too, or perhaps I can do solo.

On 17 August 2026, I took my drum into my local woodland, Portland Park Kirkby in Ashfield, for the first time.  I situated myself in my sacred spot in the woodland I found earlier this year.  As I walked in a feather floated down in front of me which felt quite meaningful.  I did set an intention at beginning to meet any guides and receive healing in the process - I'm still learning to be more clearer but broad about intentions, and listening, feeling and observing what's there so to speak.  I drummed for about 15-20 minutes and noticeably felt peaceful, but opened my eyes a few times to take in the surroundings.  When I finished I took a pause to listen for any 'echoes'; messages or visuals of some kind.  I noticed went into a deeper trance state.  During this I saw a unidentifiable visuals, but one silhouette of what I think was a tiger or lion.  I'll need to drum there again to see if it appears again and if there are any feelings I can detect from it's presence.