Friday 11 August 2023

What working class means to me

For my pre-37th birthday celebrations me, Gary and two friends, Martin and Stu went to RevoluciĆ³n de Cuba for an alcoholic afternoon tea.  We some how ended up on the topic and conversation of what working class means (to much passionate debate!) - related to what Stu may be covering as part of his research for his PhD.  As this topic resonates deeply with me; strongly present in my upbringing and life, which is reflected in this blog site and specifically in blog posts such as 'Growth - from roots to shoots' and 'You can't take the Tarn...'.  I wanted to capture my fresh overall response as it came out, in a sketchy 'thought note', to maybe explore further at a later date.

For a bit of context, I was born and raised in Barnsley, South Yorkshire - an ex-mining town, and I am currently living in one now.  Despite the negative criticism Barnsley and similar places may receive, I am extremely proud and protective of where I came from and the accent I have, and endeavour to maintain this part of me.

Without any research on the definitions of working class, which I haven't upon writing this to avoid any influence.  I want to anecdotally capture some responses of what I think working class means, to me personally - purely based on my experience and feelings of it.

I think working class means the true graft and labour, getting your hands dirty being on the frontline - at the coalface and fighting through poverty, in towns and communities that don't have the same funding opportunities as others and are often run down.  Proper working class material.  Not hiding behind the scenes and shying away from such work and effort required to reach the shared outcome.  But there is a clear cut difference from academic, non-academic and working class.  I find many academics and non-academics, often from rich backgrounds, claim they are working class.  I also get the sense, especially through media, that it is becoming a buzz/marketing word for some people.  Well yes we all 'do' things, but that to me gives no right to say they are working class.  It is often used as a pseudo context.


Working class often had to work physically hard and longer hours to make ends meet (survive!).  Yes I am thinking of older roles such as working in shops, factories, mines, nursing/caring etc.  But this comes from my true industrial upbringing; my father, grandads and other family members worked in mines, and on my mother's side healthcare, administration\and factories.  Which leads me to think that working class is also biological, in the sense that it is hereditary, passed down through genetics.  Laced in my DNA and engrained in my own personality and character, whether I want to use it or not, it is there.  Therefore it can be a mindset (attitude/relationship/value) and serve as a motivation, like the ol' mucking in whenever, wherever and whoever with type of thing to achieve the desired/shared outcome - doing a genuinely good job and completing satisfactorily/high standards.  Or if there is a job to be done, let's show willing and get up, show and up and get on with it.  From this attitude, I have a strong instinct to provide security and financial stability.  Both when I was single and living alone to being married.  I also possess a strong proving element (the northerners are stupid generalisation) around my own education, and upskilling, which is what this blog site is founded on; the self-directed education and career I have forged from my poor educational start, which was accelerated from doing an apprenticeship.  Another top working class trait includes being frugal with money!  Conversely, Gary has a similar upbringing and has that legacy in his family.  However, whilst he understands the principle above, he doesn't share the same connection and motivation for what working class is.  So this could mean that yes he has working class in his blood, but doesn't choose to engage with the mindset and use it for motivational purposes.  Which makes me realise that being working class is why I am passionate about my education (lifelong learning) and career and continually wanting to better myself.  It has been the fuel and backbone to my work/professional efforts all this time, and how I have now arrived at this point of all my achievements and successes.  I could be labelled as a work-a-acholic, which most likely derives from my earlier goal of wanting to make something of myself.  However, as I have been reflecting on recently; I am wrestling with the thought of setting boundaries and learning to say no work-related things.  To avoid burnout and give space for other personal interests and developments to flourish.  Which gives me a sense of relief that I can just be, and have any nagging goals and chasing capitalistic tendencies.  I need to remember that I am rich with my life and experience - it's not always about financial and ego status.

To conclude, working class to me in three words is hereditary, mindset and motivation.  And that working class is a deeply complex topic and means different things to people.  Depending on they were brought up and how well they resonate and apply the term.

EDIT:  Later in August 2023, I reflected on a session that was part of the Trent Institute for Learning and Teaching (TILT) Annual Learning and Teaching Conference (ALTC), which occurred earlier in the Summer.  I didn't attend this particular session, but obtained the presentation later on.  One of the slides included the text "Motivation is a product of good teaching.  Not a prerequisite."  On the topic of this blog post, this stuck out to me quite strongly, as in my experience this wasn't the case at all.  I didn't have a good teacher that taught me motivation.  My motivation is in-built as I explain above.  Yes sure feedback and praise on my strengths will have helped, but by no means did I have a stand out teacher that really nurtured me.  Which reminds me of what I said back in 2020:

On Friday 25th August.  As I said to my current intern in one of our Friday catch ups, on the topic of career development.  Because of my own career journey, I'll always be passionate and encouraging of others developing their careers.

EDIT:  In September 2023, related to this topic, in my blog post 'Achieving SFHEA and SCMALT', said; "I decided to just press on with it, and in my own pragmatic style, and that is authentic to my working class attitude.  Intentionally avoiding overusing academic language as it's easy to fall in the trap of just shaping a conversation how you want with little conviction of the actual 'doing the work'."