Tuesday 12 November 2013

First EV visit

I'm approaching my first ever External Verifier (EV) visit for the Level 4 Certificate in Technology in Learning Delivery course I have been delivering, assessing and managing.

What can I say?!  I am really nervous and I feel sick at the thought of it!  As mentioned briefly in my video A Course Of Reflection, I have been going through a range of feelings and emotions.  These questions keep going around in my head:

  • The quality of the learning and teaching.
  • The quality of learners work.
  • Have the learners done enough work for the required level (the Internal Verifier (IV) process has not been done yet, but they will determine this).
  • Have my assessment processes been consistently strong and fair (at the time of designing, I thought what I did with the assignments were great, but throughout the course I found that they weren't that great.  But I couldnt change them too much as learners would be confused.
  • How I have managed the course.

But ultimately, the whole course has been run by me and it's my first time doing so.  So I am accountable for pretty much what is about to come of it all.  Although some things have been out of my control, I still feel highly responsible for everything.  Probably more than I should.  But that's me being a perfectionist as well.  But I don't want anything to reflect badly on myself, as I feel I have done a great job of it all, given the circumstances I have experienced.

The worst that could happen, is that learners would have to do more work.  Which would be heartbreaking as I have made the assessment decision that their work has been sufficient.  Or, learners won't pass the course at all.  But this is one of the main reasons I am doing my assessors qualification.

All I can do is take it as it comes, evidence and discuss everything I have done and be preprared to back up anything that is questioned.

But I am looking forward to feedback and the action plan to see what improvements will be suggested to work on.  And hopefully from this, another cohort can start in January with a fully revised and standardised course!  Plus, removing the mistakes from this experience.  I know the errors done by person through reflection.  But I am going to do a SWOT analysis on the course itself to identify any other issues.