Current ILT question on the organisation's observation form:
Was ILT used to support learning?
Some responses retrieved from observation reports:
“Effective use of a video clip.”
“Yes by the use of PowerPoint.”
“Moodle used effectively with resources to support learning.”
Another reason why this is important is for your own role. In your role you may be subject observations as part of organisational requirements by your employer and/or awarding body. Your current observations may include how you embedded ILT within your practices. As this is a broad task, specific developmental feedback may not be as strong as it could be. The feedback you obtain would benefit from saying what is actually being done with learners using ILT. The following descriptors will help the observer to achieve this and also act as a set of guidelines. They will help the observer to identify and examine the use of ILT in the learning activity/ies that occur within and outside the classroom. The feedback generated will help capture good practice as well as improvements to move forward the creative use of ILT. This can also be used as a reflective tool to enhance own practices in the use of ILT.
Observe and examine the use of learning technology in the learning activity/ies that occur within and outside the classroom.
Recognise the difference between IT and ILT use to encourage active participation and enjoyment to enhance the learning experience. Below are questions to act as guidelines when observing ILT activities:
- Identify the technology and/or eLearning approach used.
- Explain the learning activity/ies that are being used with the technology.
- Describe if and how all learners are engaged.
- Identify how all learners are fully participating in the activity/ies.
- Describe how learners are set challenging tasks that build on and extend their learning with the technology.
- Describe differentiation approaches with the use of technology.
- Describe how learners are given frequent feedback during the activity/ies within the technology.
- Describe any supporting resources used with the technology.
- Identify how learners were given the opportunity to evaluate their learning experience of the technology.