Tuesday 13 May 2014

Games, the main driver of learning?

I've been seeing and reading lots about games in education, more than I have before.  Games have always had a significant part of the learning process.  But recently I have seen games have more emphasis and prominence on education as a main driver.

Nolan Bushnell said that if you want a permanent memory, you just have to repeat games by:

  • Review learning made today (after a good sleep)
  • Review the learning in a week
  • Review the learning in a month

And apparently, you will never forget anything.

I'm not a big gamer or lover.  However, I do LOVE Pokémon!  I have since I was younger.

A few weeks ago I introduced my partner to Pokémon for the first time.  It was lovely to observe this!  Apart from him being totally consumed by it all day haha, we did have a chat about the actual game.  Like me, he likes the role playing games, where you play a character through a journey as such.  When we had a chat and he said he likes role playing games as you start off with a basic character and build it up throughout the game.  Pokémon is all about this and you have to interact with people to receive and access things, as well as training the sprites up and developing strategies to win battles and gym badges, as the sprites have different qualities and types that are good and bad against other ones.

You do all this without realising it.  Building up skills and knowledge as you go along.  It kind of reflects real life; building yourself up for the real world, so to speak.

I mean I used to be obsessed with Theme Hospital too when I was younger.  Managing my own hospital through medical services and staffing.  For a kid, this is pretty advanced, but I enjoyed it.  Emphasis on the fun element!

Games incorporate interaction, peer collaboration and competition.  And as I said above, games should be FUN!  It helps get people motivated to learn and learn with passion; exciting people with what they are doing.

But, we should be addicted to learning, not the game itself!  So how can we do this?  Let the critical thinking begin!