Saturday 17 August 2013

Exploring and learning employability

Well, I am learning lots about employability skills at the moment!

I chose to do the Delivering Employability Skills unit as one of my optional units for the Diploma in Teaching in the Lifelong Learning Sector.

When I first saw it, I knew I had to do it!  As my entire career and learning has been based upon employability skills, it just had to be explored and learned further for myself.  It's like it's the part of my life puzzle.  It's the one subject that really fits well with me.

I am employability, because you will see from my career journey on LinkedIn that I have started from nearly nothing, to something.  That is a story in itself that I will share soon.

At the moment I am looking at the entire unit and deciding what I can really do with it.  I have been given creative control on all of my optional units.  With others I have done traditional assignment based work.  But I am thinking for this something different as employability will become my main subject when I eventually go full-time teaching.  So, I want this work to be really proactive and really reflect on me as a person.  I'm thinking a mixture of an assignment but being a proactive case study with current employability research.  I have a few ideas at the moment, so I will see how they develop.

But as part of this unit, I have to deliver employability skills to learners.  I plan to do lessons with Barnsley College's Business, Management and Tourism, Skills for Jobs and possibly the Jobcentre Plus in Barnsley.  All of which deliver employability learning programmes.

This will give me a really good in-depth experience of different learner audiences and further build my teaching and employability skills.

I'm using Ann Gravells Delivering Employability Skills book to help me out with this.  But it's now outdated in some areas.  I'm hoping there is a second edition coming soon!