Thursday 8 September 2016

Daniel Scott - Learning Technologist of the Year Award 2016

This is a summary of my experience from submitting to winning this incredible award by the Association for Learning Technology.

Submission

On 17 May I decided to submit a nomination for this award.  I wanted to apply for this based on a couple of reasons.  2016 has been a huge year for me as I have just completed a long-term educational goal; my Technology Enhanced Learning MSc.  But I also feel it’s the right time to share my professional journey and what I have done to support and develop the use of learning technology within my own context and organisation.  I have gone from a place where I knew nothing about teaching and learning technology to where I am highly proficient on their roles and purpose for education.

My submission (below) is nothing ground breaking and has surely been done many times before.  But what is different is that I have proactively placed my own learning and motivation at the centre of the development of others and the organisation.  My experience is entirely autonomous, meaning that I have coordinated (asked/fought for not given/offered, and independently pursued) my professional learning and activities not only around my needs, but the needs of others and the organisation.  I quickly identified gaps for knowledge and skills and then independently learned them, so what I learn becomes others learning.  You could say that I wielded the support I gave to others and executed as a vehicle to my own understanding and practices.  But as mentioned throughout this blog I also wanted to improve my own interpersonal and intellectual abilities.  Everything I am learning I am giving back to the wider world by sharing the wisdom I have acquired.






Interview and supplementary information

I was interviewed by the panel and asked a variety of questions around my submission.  The presentation below is what I produced for the interview to further evidence my submission, along with the summary as supplementary information.



Outcome



Overall interview panel feedback:

"Great achievement in self-taught and self-directed practice.  Demonstrated a really innovative approach to apprenticeships supported by Learning Technology.  Outstanding example of open practice in the Further Education and Skills sector."

I was in a training session at the time I received confirmation of the outcome.  I had a little peek at my phone only to find an email from Maren Deepwell saying:

"Dear Daniel

Congratulations - you are the Winner of the Learning Technologist of the Year Awards 2016 (individual category).

The judging panel was unanimous in its decision and in the next week we will send you their feedback together with information about next steps.
"

As cheesy as this may sound, I was holding back tears as I felt very emotional that I had won such a prestigious award.  But also because my individual efforts and milestones over the years had been recognised on a national and international scale.  Winning this award is like The Oscars of the learning technology industry.  I was absolutely overwhelmed with happiness and feeling very proud.  However, what was most overwhelming was that I was against strong competition from well-established individuals and other organisations and to be narrowed down to one guy from a small town was crazy wonderful.  As I said at the interview stage, winning this award just rounds up an incredible 6 and a half years of being a Learning Technologist but also my incredible self-motivated journey of understanding and practicing teaching and learning technology.

This year celebrates the 10th annual Learning Technologist of the Year Award and it's such a great feeling to be a part of it.  It's a privilege to be amongst the list of other highly regarded learning technologists.  Winning this award also has perfect symmetry that marks ten years since I completed my Level 2 apprenticeship in business and administration.  Looking back to that point to where I am now it's such an incredible feat!  Especially since I had such a bad start to my education.

Before the awards, I was asked by Maren to provide a quote and anyone from my organisation for a press release.  This is what me and my director said:

Me:

I am extremely proud and overwhelmed at winning this prestigious award.  It’s such a good feeling to be recognised both nationally and internationally for my individual efforts and milestones that I have achieved throughout my professional journey.

A big thank you to the panel for making the decision and thank you to the wider learning technology community that inspire me with their research and good practice.


Karen Markham, Director of Teaching and Learning, Barnsley College:

I am really pleased and happy that Dan has won this Award as it recognises his passion for technology and the journey he has undertaken in his own professional development.

Awards night

On 7 September I attended the awards ceremony at The University of Warwick with my partner Gary. Below is the video of me accepting my award with a brief thank you (I'm on at 13 mins 30 secs).

"Excited to be joining everyone tonight for the @A_L_T Learning Technologist of the Year Awards 2016! #altc"



I had prepared a short speech for when I received my award.  But I was taken over by extreme nerves which I'm sure you can tell.  At least it shows my emotions aren't made of steel!  Perhaps it was because there were so many renowned people in the audience such as researchers, authors and directors/executives.  So I ditched the speech and said something in the moment.  But here is what I originally had planned to say:

"As I always say, "it depends how much you want something that determines the effort you put in."  I knew I wanted to be a learning technologist and more.  But that also comes from my strong passion for improving my interpersonal and intellectual abilities from a time where that wasn't possible.

The achievements and milestones that are in my submission demonstrate my efforts.  Thank you to the panel for seeing this in me.  I am extremely grateful.  Also a thank you to the researchers and educators that generate good practice that inspires me.

Thank you.
"

It was absolute privilege to share the night with so many other talented learning technologists and teams who have demonstrated real enthusiasm and impact in their own contexts and organisations.  It was inspiring to read and hear about all of your creative projects.  Well done to all the winners, runner ups and highly commended.  You have earned them just as much as I have.  Here are a few pictures from the awards.





After the awards I enjoyed a night of excellent company, food and drink.  I had such a lovely night talking to people both personally and professionally.  Some people I knew, some I had not seen for a very long time and some I had just been acquainted with.

I am touched by the amount of people who took the time to congratulate me both in-person and online (some listed below).  Thank you!  A special thank you to Maren for making me feel welcome and comfortable throughout the evening, you're such a warm and considerate person.

The whole experience is one of my most treasured memories that I'll never forget.

Post-winning, ALT did a webinar with me; 'ALT Community Call: Daniel Scott on Awards and supporting Digital Learning Design apprentices':

"For next ALT Community Call we speak with Daniel Scott, from Barnsley College, winner of ALT’s Learning Technologist of the Year 2016.  In this call we speak to Daniel about his innovative work he is involved in supporting Digital Learning Design apprentices.  We find out more about Daniel’s approach to learning technology using the support to others as a vehicle to further his own skills and understanding."



EDIT:  I talk further about this experience in the blog post 'Reflection of winning - a year on'.